2023 Rules / Tie Breaker
2023 SALTWIRE EAST COAST ICEJAM HOCKEY TOURNAMENT RULES
1. Teams shall register at the BMO Centre(or East Hants Sportsplex) at least one hour prior to their first game
2. The teams are seeded for the playoffs based on their round robin record and results. Replacement Seeding is used throughout the playoffs (including final game)
3. Teams are not to go on the ice until the official game time per the Tournament schedule. Exception – teams can start their warm-up early if agreed to by both teams and the Tournament Committee
4. Round robin games will consist of the following: a flood before warm-up, 5 minute warm-up, 2 periods of 15 minutes with a 2 minute break between the 1st and 2nd periods, a flood, a 20 minute third period. If tied after regulation, teams will not change ends and there will be a 5 minute stop time sudden death 3 on 3 overtime period. If still tied after the 5 minute overtime, each team will be given a point. If a winner is decided during the overtime, the winner gets 2 points and the loser gets 1 point.
5. Nova Scotia U18 Major Hockey League rules apply for the U18 Division while Hockey Nova Scotia rules and regulations shall apply for the U16 & U15 Divisions with the following exceptions applicable to all Divisions:
a. Match Penalty – Out for the remainder of the tournament
b. Fighting Major – 2 game suspension for the first offence. For a second offence, the player will be suspended for the remainder of the tournament
c. Protests – No protests will be allowed during the tournament
d. Decisions of the Tournament Committee will be final.
6. During round robin play and playoffs, should a SIX GOAL spread exist at the end of the second period, or anytime during the third period, the clock shall revert to straight-time for the remainder of the game.
7. In round robin play, when recording the goals for the winning team, a maximum differential of +7 will be recognized per game for playoff seeding purposes and tie breaking purposes
8. Misconducts & Game Misconducts will be recorded as 10 minutes and Match penalties will be recorded as 5 minutes.
9. One 30 second time out permitted per game – can be used in regular or overtime but not both
10. Home team shall wear white and home teams in the round robin and playoffs are predetermined by the schedule. The rinks in which playoff games are played will be determined at the conclusion of the Round Robin.
11. The length and timing of Playoff Games and Championship Games shall be the same as round robin games (#4 above) except for overtime. Overtime, if required, shall consist of a sudden death 10 minute stop-time period with 3 skaters aside. Teams will not change ends for overtime. If still tied after the 10 minute overtime period there will be a shootout with at least 3 players shooting for each team. Home team will choose to shoot first or last. If still tied after the 3 players from each team have shot, one more player from each team shoots. If it is still tied, this process of one player from each team shooting continues until there is a winner. Once 5 different players from each team have shot, teams can use any player until there is a winner.
12. INQUIRIES – All inquiries concerning the interpretation of these rules should be directed to the Tournament Chairperson
13. AP players that are playing for lower teams in the tournament, will not be eligible to play with their higher teams until lower teams are eliminated from tournament.
2023 – Saltwire East Coast IceJam - Tie Breaking Formula
Two Teams Tied
1. If two teams are tied in points:
1.1 The winner of the round robin game between the two tied teams gains the higher position.
1.2 The team with the most wins in the round robin gains the higher position
1.3 The team with the best goal average gains the higher position. The goal average of a team is to be determined in the following manner:
Total number of goals for divided by the total number of goals for and against.
NOTE: All round robin games are included.
Example: For = 10 goals Against = 4 goals
10+4 = .714
NOTE: The higher percentage gains the higher position
1.4 The team with the fewest goals against (all round robin games played) will gain the highest position.
1.5 The team with the most goals for (all round robin games played) will gain the highest position.
1.6 The team with the least number of minutes in penalties throughout all of the round robin games, gains the higher position.
1.7 The team which scored the first goal in the game between the tied teams gains the higher position.
1.8 The team which scored their first goal of the tournament in the shortest elapsed time of tournament play gains the higher position.
1.9 A single coin toss will determine which team gains the higher position.
Three or More Teams Tied
Note: If any step in the 3 or more tiebreaker only seeds one team, that team assumes that position. The three or more team tiebreaker will continue to determine the seeding of the remaining teams. At no time will teams using this formula go back to the two-team tiebreaker
2. If three teams or more are tied in points, the point record established in the games among the tied teams only (if the tied teams have all played each other) will be used as the first tie breaking formula in deciding each teams seeding.
2.1 The team with the most wins (among tied teams) would gain the highest position.
2.2 The team with the best goal average gains the highest position. The goal average of a team is to be determined in the following manner: total number of goals for divided by total number of goals for and against.
NOTE: All round robin games are included
Example: For = 10 goals Against = 4 goals
10+4 = .714
NOTE: The highest percentage gains the highest position(s).
The exercise of 2.2 establishes the team or teams with the highest or lowest position(s) by percentage. If there are still teams tied, they go to the next step. They do not go back to the “Two Team Tiebreaker”.
A. Team A - .714 = 1 seed; Team B - .500 = 3 seed; Team C - .650 = 2 seed
B. Team A - .714 = 1 seed; Team B - .500 = Still tied with team C – go to next step 2.3.; Team C- .500 = Still tied with team B – go to next step 2.3.
C. Team A –. 650 = Still tied with team B – go to next step 2.3.; Team B - .650 = Still tied with team A – go to next step 2.3.; Team C - .500 = 3 seed
2.3 The team with the fewest goals against (all round robin games played) will gain the highest position.
2.4 The team with the most goals for (all round robin games played) will gain the highest position.
2.5 The team that received the least number of minutes in penalties throughout all the round robin games.
2.6 The teams are ranked in the order in which they scored their first goal of the tournament. The team that scored in the shortest elapsed time of tournament play gains the higher position, the team that scored in the 2nd shortest elapsed time gains the next highest position, and so on for all remaining teams.
2.7 A coin toss shall determine the winner. In a 3 team coin toss, the odd team gains the highest position.